[wix-users] Multilingual MSI installer

Barry Leslie Barry.Leslie at TeamDrive.com
Wed Nov 21 10:24:58 PST 2018

Can someone tell me if this is the correct approach to providing a multilingual msi installer or it there a better way.  I am bit suspect of the process since all the links I see to it are old and many have broken links referring to other documentation.

Barry

> On Nov 20, 2018, at 2:45 PM, Barry Leslie via wix-users <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to build a Multilingual MSI installer with out any luck.
> I have been following the instructions here:
>
> https://www.packtpub.com/mapt/book/application_development/9781849513722/12/ch12lvl1sec79/creating-a-multi-language-msi <https://www.packtpub.com/mapt/book/application_development/9781849513722/12/ch12lvl1sec79/creating-a-multi-language-msi>
>
> as well as here:
>
> http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/articles/embeddedlang/ <http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/articles/embeddedlang/>
>
> and here:
>
> https://www.hass.de/content/how-create-msi-packages-multilingual-user-interface-mui <https://www.hass.de/content/how-create-msi-packages-multilingual-user-interface-mui>
>
> I was able to use msiTrans and msidb to build an msi package that could install in German or English when started from the command line with:
> msiexec  myInstaller.msi TRANSFORM=“:de-DE.msi"
>
> But what I want is a single msi package that when opened will start the installation process in the users language.
>
> Here is what I have done:
> 1) Build a German and an English version of myInstaller.msi
> 2) Copy the English  myInstaller.msi into the folder with the Gernam  myInstaller.msi renaming it  myInstaller_en.msi
> 3) torch -t language  myInstaller.msi myInstaller_en.msi -out en.mst
> 4) cscript WiSubStg.vbs myInstaller.msi  en.mst 1033
> 5)  cscript WiLangId.vbs myInstaller.msi  Package 1033,1031
>
> If I then click  myInstaller.msi  to install it I would expect it to start in English because it is running on an English system but it starts in German.
>
> One significant note, I am using wix tool set v4.0. I inherited this project and the original developer told me he used v4.0 rather than v3.11 because it had a bug fix the other did not, I think the bug had something to do with VM machines. I do not know if this is actually true or not. The torch that came with v4.0 didn’t work where the v3.11 torch did so that may also be the problem.
>
> All the references to this build process seem to be fairly old so I do not know if this is the current state of the art or if there is a better way to do this.
>

> Any help at all on this would be appreciated.
>
> At this point I am considering switching to the current V3 wix tool set and hope that the VM bug was not real or there is a better work around for it.
>
> Barry

Barry Leslie
Senior Software Engineer

TeamDrive Systems GmbH

Canadian Office
Tel: (001) 250 884 1820
Fax: (001) 250 595 4460
Email: Barry.Leslie at T <mailto:Barry.Leslie at PrimeBase.org>eamDrive.com
Web: www.TeamDrive.c <http://www.primebase.org/>om

TeamDrive Systems GmbH
Max-Brauer-Allee 50
22765 Hamburg • Germany

Geschaeftsfuehrung: Ulrich Zimmer,  Detlef Schmuck