[wix-users] How to replace unstoppable driver

sachin shinde sachincse1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 04:58:07 PST 2018

Our product uses a driver that cannot be stopped. On upgrade We want to
replace driver SYS file only, let new driver load on next reboot, I donot
want to force user to REBOOT.

We have installing/uninstalling driver using custom Action and
DriverPackageInstall.

It is failing to upgrade, installation is failing with error 1603 error
code

CustomAction VMInstallMYDriverAction returned actual error code 1603 (note
this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
MSI (s) (F4:3C) [04:21:40:933]: Closing MSIHANDLE (883) of type 790536 for
thread 1360
Action ended 4:21:40: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Thanks