[wix-users] Installation damaged by Windows update

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Tue Dec 25 10:39:13 PST 2018

https://support.firegiant.com/hc/en-us/articles/230912407-Create-a-log-file-

From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Helge Kruse via wix-users
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 1:02 AM
To: WiX Users <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Helge Kruse <Helge.Kruse at gmx.net>
Subject: [wix-users] Installation damaged by Windows update

Hi,

I have a bundle with two MSI packages, one for 32 and one for 64 bit.
Each MSI package contains a COM component implemented with a WSC script hosted by scrobj.dll as interface. The WSC component calls a .NET implementation.

The .NET components are compiled for ANY CPU. So they are executable for
32 and 64 bit. Therefore both MSI packages contain the same files. But the COM registration requires two different MSI. As the result the components can be used from any Windows Scripting Host script, independent of the current active CPU mode.

The installer works, updates are working since years. But there is a problem with Windows updates. After installation of the Windows updates, the COM instantiation doesn't work anymore. A "repair" installation fixes the problem. As long as I use the COM components in house, this is nasty. But when passing the components to customers it's a shame.

How can a identify what's damaged by the Windows installer, i.e. what is actually repaired by the repair operation? I hope I get an idea from the information for a change of the installer.

Well, I compared the files in the install location as well as the registry content I am aware of before and after Windows update. I didn't found any difference.

Best Regards,
Helge