[wix-users] Installation damaged by Windows update

Helge Kruse Helge.Kruse at gmx.net
Tue Dec 25 01:02:05 PST 2018

Hi,

I have a bundle with two MSI packages, one for 32 and one for 64 bit.
Each MSI package contains a COM component implemented with a WSC script
hosted by scrobj.dll as interface. The WSC component calls a .NET
implementation.

The .NET components are compiled for ANY CPU. So they are executable for
32 and 64 bit. Therefore both MSI packages contain the same files. But
the COM registration requires two different MSI. As the result the
components can be used from any Windows Scripting Host script,
independent of the current active CPU mode.

The installer works, updates are working since years. But there is a
problem with Windows updates. After installation of the Windows updates,
the COM instantiation doesn't work anymore. A "repair" installation
fixes the problem. As long as I use the COM components in house, this is
nasty. But when passing the components to customers it's a shame.

How can a identify what's damaged by the Windows installer, i.e. what is
actually repaired by the repair operation? I hope I get an idea from the
information for a change of the installer.

Well, I compared the files in the install location as well as the
registry content I am aware of before and after Windows update. I didn't
found any difference.

Best Regards,
Helge