[wix-users] Dynamic Name and ID values

Farrukh Waheed farrukh1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 23:55:36 PDT 2017

When you compile values (Product and Upgrade code etc.) into an msi, you
can't dynamically change it, however, using Transforms, it might be
possible, but it is not a very good solution.

In our company, we are building 4 different flavors of a product, based
upon 4 Configurations (Visual Studio solution) for different scenarios and
these can be installed side by side. Generating separate msi's for each
flavor, also allows us to generate and deliver patches, small updates, and
major upgrades very easily. That is why we avoid transforms and have
separate builds for each flavor.

We have developed our custom Managed Bootstrapper which gives the user
options to select which flavors they would like to install. The same
bootstrapper can be used to detect the already installed and show the user
same interface while marking the installed ones and allowing the user to
uninstall and install others.

On 26 September 2017 at 11:26, Nir Bar via wix-users <