[wix-users] Dynamic Name and ID values

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Tue Sep 26 08:35:50 PDT 2017

While instance transforms are possible, WixStdBA doesn't support them out of the box.  I've dabbled in the concept, and then quickly backed off due to the enormous complexity and risk you introduce.  While it may sound simpler, you would have to be a Windows installer expert and have all your install/upgrade/patch/uninstall paths automated with unit/integration tests to be able to safely do it.  In the end, it's much easier to have a bundle per flavor that allows for full usage and leverage of WiX and Windows Installer.