[wix-users] Steps in a Self-Updating Application

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Sat Sep 23 09:47:58 PDT 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf
Of Kevin G. Joback via wix-users
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 10:36 AM
To: wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org
Cc: Kevin G. Joback <kevin at molecularknowledge.com>
Subject: [wix-users] Steps in a Self-Updating Application

> 1.	Does our application have to exit before it runs the new
> installation package? The downloaded update will be replacing the currently
> running executable. (We are happy to restart our application program after
> the update has been downloaded and installed.)

No, but you may need to reboot depending on how the files-in-use dialog is
answered. Why not design the update function to spawn a new process that
launches the new installation and exit immediately after? No confusion for
less inclined users...

See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370379(v=vs.85).aspx