[wix-users] Remains of Managed Bootstrapper

Farrukh Waheed farrukh1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 22:21:44 PDT 2017

Hi mates,
I am delivering plugin for a software already installed on the client side
using msi packed in our managed bootstrapper. This works fine and we can
uninstall, modify, repair it through the control panel, in our
bootstrapper's UI.

But if the user uninstalls their software, it also triggers the uninstall
of our plugin, which actually calls Windows Installer Service to do the
job. Now what we are left with the remains of our Bootstrapper still
appearing in the Add-Remove programs list.

If we try to uninstall or repair it, it would show the Install Welcome
screen and if we go further, it would end up with our Install Condition
failures because required pre-requisites  Software is no more there. So the
user has to install the prerequisite Software again, Install/Restore from
control panel again and then first Uninstall the plugin and then their
Software. This is hectic...

Is there any method to trigger the uninstall of Bootstrapper if its
delivered Msi is triggered to uninstall?

Thanks
Farrukh