[wix-users] ICE03: String overflow with WixUI_Font_Normal Japanese font

Alan Sinclair anadem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 15:22:08 PDT 2017

I'm building a multi-language MSI with a modified WiX Advanced UI, using
light.exe version 3.11.0.1701 on Windows 10 build 1709
English and French are fine but the Japanese (ja-jp) flavor gets overflow
warnings from the WixUI fonts:

wswixui.wxs(45) : warning LGHT1076 : ICE03: String overflow (greater than
length permitted in column); Table: TextStyle, Column: FaceName, Key(s):
WixUI_Font_Normal

The schema shows Facename column of TextStyle table as having only 32
characters with type String (NOT Localizable String type, for some reason).
Looking at the MSI with Orca, the table looks to have the full font names
correct, e.g.

TextStyle: WixUI_Font_Normal
FaceName: "MS UI Gothic", "MS PGothic", "MS Pゴシック", "MS Gothic", "MS ゴシック",
Osaka, Tahoma
Size: 8
Color:
StyleBits:

Is there a fix for this, or can I just ignore the warnings (or suppress
only those warnings?)
An earlier iteration of our MSI used the Minimal dialog, which did not get
the overflow warnings at build time. Since then Windows updated itself (to
build 1709, not sure what the previous build was - maybe 1703) so I'm
unsure if the change is related to using the Advanced GUI or to the Windows
update.

Thanks
Alan