[wix-users] unsubscribe

Pablo Montilla melkor at odyssey.com.uy
Thu Oct 12 13:01:23 PDT 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of
Marc Beaudry via wix-users
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:51 PM
To: 'WiX Toolset Users Mailing List' <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Marc Beaudry <mbeaudry at matrox.com>
Subject: Re: [wix-users] Windows 10 Identification During Install

No worries.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3202260/versionnt-value-for-windows
-10-and-windows-server-2016
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31932646/versionnt-msi-property-on-windo
ws-10

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of
Jason Beck via wix-users
Sent: October-12-2017 2:20 PM
To: Marc Beaudry via wix-users
Cc: Jason Beck

Disregard my last email.

I should have looked up what you were saying instead of responding
immediately.

On 10/12/2017 1:08 PM, Marc Beaudry via wix-users wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Windows 10 required attested drivers, causing me to have two sets of
drivers, one for Windows 10 and a second set of all OSes prior to Windows 10
but greater or equal to 7.

> I have searched and found different solutions to my issue, but I can't
believe this is how installers work, so I would like the opinion of someone
else that has more experience than I on this matter.

> --- VersionNT and VersionNT64: When I run an MSI with Verbose logging
get VersionNT = 603 on Windows 10 and on Server 2012.
> I know VersionNT is a private property and should not be used, I was
simply experimenting.
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370556(v=vs
> .85).aspx
>
> --- Next option was a CA using C#: OperatingSystem os =
> System.Environment.OSVersion; This too returns 6.X
>
> --- Next Option was a CA in C++. GetVersion or GetVersionEX This too
> returns 6.X For this to report the correct version it requires a
> modified application manifest file. I do not have an application, so
> this
doesn't work in my scenario.
> All my installer has is a CA.DLL
>
> --- Next option is to use the Version Help Functions in a CA:
> IsWindowsVersionOrGreater()
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn424972.aspx
> I have two different version of Windows 10 on my test bench.
> This does not work on my older version of Windows 10, this is the
> first
release of 10.
> The one that works on my Windows 10 is IsWindows8OrGreater, which
> makes no
sense.

> Now on the windows installer side of things how can I correctly
> identify the OS I am installing on is Windows 10 or Greater??? (IE
> Servier 2016 as an example) Asked differently is there a native
> Windows Installer way of Identifying that the installation OS is 10 or
> greater
>
> I have this condition, which I know is not good practice as I am using
VersionNT, this does not work on Server 2012 and it expects Windows 7
architecture  for Drivers.