[wix-users] Questions on Heat Command

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Wed Nov 29 04:58:02 PST 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf
Of Ven H via wix-users
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:29 AM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Ven H <venh.123 at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] Questions on Heat Command

> Also, I have a requirement to have the ability to dynamically add the wxs
> file references generated by the Heat command to the main wxs
> (Product.wxs)
> file, probably as components. Is it possible? Has anyone come across this
> requirement? If so, can you please help?

What do you mean dynamically? When you use heat, you are uncoupling
the explicit contents of a component for example, however you know
you are using heat (you invoked it) as such the component reference is
known ahead of time. The actual contents can remain dynamic.

I have a project where we dynamically generate all the wix source but in
this case the component references are inserted in the same way that heat
invocations are inferred and invoked.