[wix-users] Issues when Major Upgrade an InstallShield package

Persson, Magnus (SE-TLX) magnus.persson at assaabloy.com
Tue Jan 31 02:22:33 PST 2017

We've been using InstallShield for 20 years and are frankly fed up with
all bugs and workarounds required to us it.
WiX is the perfect replacement but until the first upgrade (i.e. from
InstallShield to WiX) there are a couple of things I need help with.

When I launch the new WiX package that will Major Upgrade the existing
InstallShield package, a dialog will popup during 'Validating install'.
This dialog will have a textbox with the text "Windows(r) installer
(Process Id: 4808)" and I can select 'Exit', 'Ignore' or 'Retry'.

The only way forward will be to click on 'Ignore' which will cause the
upgrade to require a restart at the end (which is fine).
I assume this additional MSI process is some hack within InstallShield
but is there a way to prevent this scenario?

After the WiX installer has finished there is still a leftover in the
ARP control panel applet and the reason for this is again an
InstallShield hack
(HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{Product
Id}".

Is there a good way to detect the product id of the InstallShield
package beeing major upgraded so the registry key can be removed by the
WiX package?

Thanks,
Magnus