[wix-users] Prompts for the old copy of the msi - Why?

Steve De George stevedegeorge at pivotalz.com
Wed Feb 15 01:50:01 PST 2017

Hi all.

I have created MSI and patches in testing and have moved everything to Team City. So far so good. In my latest's testing though it is asking for the original MSI on repair or rollback. Not something I have seen in testing.

OK, so what I have changed though is how the MSI is launched. It is now launched from an INNO boot strapper (The INNO code does a lot of prep work that does not require patching or anything else)  The MSI is embedded into the INNO and is extracted to a temprory folder.

Then the INNO script does this:

//--- shell and install
ShellExec('', 'msiexec.exe',ExpandConstant('/i "{tmp}\product.msi" /passive ' + Pass2Wix),'', SW_SHOW, ewWaitUntilTerminated, ResultCode);

In a nutshell. Shell a elevated prompt using msiexec with params:  /i /passive   plus some other custom vars.

A couple of things.

We are Win 7 and above and in the Wix code I have:  <Package InstallerVersion="500" Compressed="yes" InstallScope="perMachine" />

What am I missing?

Steve De George - Pivotal Z / NextGen Software, Inc.
253-656-4061
www.pivotalz.com<http://www.pivotalz.com/>
www.nextgensoftware.com<http://www.nextgensoftware.com/>