[wix-users] Major Upgrade not Working - FileVersion vs ProductVersion

Kevin G. Joback kevin at molecularknowledge.com
Tue Dec 12 11:05:43 PST 2017

As stated previously my situation was that I had created an installer to
perform a major upgrade. The installer would remove the old version's files
but did not install the new version's files. When I reran the installer and
performed a repair, everything worked as expected.

Following suggestions, I looked through the msi's log file and found the
following line:

"Disallowing installation of component: {guid} since the same component with
higher versioned keyfile exists"

I thought my new version's "keyfile" had a newer version but I was wrong. We
use Visual Studio with C++/MFC to develop our applications. The
application's exe (the keyfile) has a VERSION resource that has a
FILEVERSION key and a PRODUCTVERSION key. The new version's PRODUCTVERSION
key was larger than the old version, however, the new version's FILEVERSION
key was smaller than the old version. When I made both new versions greater
than both old versions the upgrade worked as expected.

Questions: I will test this answer further but does this make sense? Which
"version" (FILEVERSION or PRODUCTVERSION) is used to determine the keyfile's
version?

Thank you,

Kevin

Kevin G. Joback, PhD