[wix-users] Replace string in configuration files

Collin Perschon collin.perschon at fidelissecurity.com
Tue Sep 6 14:45:45 PDT 2016

Hello,

Right now I am setting configuration values in several config files with the <util:XmlFile /> element.  It has been working very well, however, I have been requested to change this to a mass find/replace.  The reason is that there are several files with about 200+ attributes that I am setting, and the developers want to be able to remove/add XML tags without worrying about asking me to add these values to the install.

My questions is, what is the best practice for this?  Is there any reason writing a c# custom action to do the replacements after InstallFiles is a bad idea?

Thanks,

Collin