[wix-users] How do I package VS2015 Redistributables?

shashank khadse shashank.s.khadse at gmail.com
Wed May 4 02:05:08 PDT 2016

Use Wix bundle for packaging the pre-reqs.

You can refer following snippet of Bundle.wxs in my case for adding pre-req
of 2010

   <Chain>

      <PackageGroupRef Id="VC10_Redist_x64" />

      <MsiPackage SourceFile="$(var.MyInstaller.TargetDir)MyInstaller.msi"
                  Compressed="yes"
                  ForcePerMachine="yes"
                  DisplayInternalUI="yes"
                  Visible="no"
                  Vital="yes"
                  DisplayName="Display Name"
                  Id="MyMsi"
                  LogPathVariable="LOGPATH_PROP" />
    </Chain>

     <Fragment>
    <util:RegistrySearch
           Id="VC2010_Redist_x64_Search"
           Variable="VC2010_Redist_x64_Installed"     <==== Variable to
check if already installed on m/c
           Result="exists"
           Root="HKLM"

Key="SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x64"
           Win64="yes" />

    <PackageGroup Id="VC10_Redist_x64">
      <ExePackage Id="vcredist2010x64"

SourceFile="$(var.SolutionDir)..\Installer\MyProj\PreRequisites\VCRedist\vcredist_2010_x64.exe"
                  Cache="yes"
                  PerMachine="yes"
                  Vital="yes"
                  Compressed="yes"
                  InstallCommand="/quiet /norestart"
                  DetectCondition="VC2010_Redist_x64_Installed"    <====
Variable defined in the RegistrySearch
                  Permanent="yes" />
    </PackageGroup>

  </Fragment>

First check if the redist is already installed by registry search and if
not then the vcredist package will be installed.

Let me know if it works in ur case.