[wix-users] How do I package VS2015 Redistributables?

Jon Earle earlej at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 07:05:35 PDT 2016

This would up in my spam folder, so forgive the late response, and thank you for the guidance.

So, I did make a new project in my setup solution.  I pasted in the snippet below and fiddled with it a bit to get it going.  Found that fragment couldn't be inside a bundle tag and so on.  Also, I had to double up the snip contents because our app contains both 32 and 64 bit components, so both runtime redistributables are required.  Ugh!!

I have an EXE installer now, but, the gui is not at all what I expected.  I guess I'd expected the gui to be the same as my original MSI, but rethinking it, I guess it makes sense that it's not (since it's a wrapper).

So, how do I fix this - make the wrapper GUI use the banner and welcome logo, licence text, install path, etc as the original MSI?  If it cannot be made to look the same, PLM will not accept it (and I agree with them - they want the customer experience to remain unchanged).

Is there an alternate approach - perhaps using custom actions to check and install?  I'm handy enough with C#, just don't know if that's a viable option and looking for guidance before spending time exploring that.

Alternatively, I could even propose downgrading to VS 2013 to return to the easy merge module method of distributing the runtime, but, I'd like to stay current if it's possible (and relatively painless) to do so.

Thanks!
Jon