[wix-users] WiX Custom Bootstrapper Application and .NET 4.5

Ben Key bkey76 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 17:12:44 PDT 2016

I am having difficulties getting a WiX Custom Bootstrapper Application that
targets .NET 4.5 to work.

I have the following line in my Bundle.wxs.

    <PackageGroupRef Id="NetFx45Web" />

My BootstrapperCore.config is as follows.

    <configuration>
        <configSections>
            <sectionGroup name="wix.bootstrapper"
type="Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Bootstrapper.BootstrapperSectionGroup,
BootstrapperCore">
                <section name="host"
type="Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Bootstrapper.HostSection,
BootstrapperCore" />
            </sectionGroup>
        </configSections>
        <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
            <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"
sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" />
        </startup>
        <wix.bootstrapper>
            <host assemblyName="FSCustomBA" />
        </wix.bootstrapper>
    </configuration>

I have tried multiple variations of this.

For example, I have also tried the following.

    <host assemblyName="FSCustomBA">
        <supportedFramework version="v4\Full" />
        <supportedFramework version="v4\Client" />
    </host>

And the following.

    <host assemblyName="FSCustomBA">
        <supportedFramework version="v4.5\Full" />
        <supportedFramework version="v4.5\Client" />
    </host>

And the following.

    <host assemblyName="FSCustomBA">
        <supportedFramework version="v4.5" />
    </host>

And the following.

    <host assemblyName="FSCustomBA">
        <supportedFramework version="v4.5\Full" />
    </host>

And the following.

    <host assemblyName="FSCustomBA">
        <supportedFramework version="v4.5\Client" />
    </host>

No matter what I have tried, when I run my setup package on a system that
does not have .NET 4.5 installed, I am prompted to install .NET 4.5. Once I
press the Agree and Install button, the setup package crashes. When I
attempt to run the setup package again, it hangs before it displays the
buttons. It hangs even after I reboot. I need to restore my system from the
system image before it will run again.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I am using WiX 3.10.