[wix-users] Restart from MBA

Parkes, Kevin Kevin.Parkes at wacom.eu
Mon Jun 13 07:09:14 PDT 2016

Thanks for your suggestions Farrukh. Unfortunately, I'm still not really getting anywhere.

If I could summarize / restate my problem(s), perhaps someone else could shed some light...

Original problem: Intermittently, when reinstalling after an uninstall (and without any restart), install fails.
The log file shows
   Apply complete, result: 0x8007015e...
Error look up gives 0x8007015e = "No action was taken as a system reboot is required."

The log file also shows a 3rd party MSI package as "state: Present", from which I am guessing that the reboot is required to complete the uninstall of the 3rd party MSI. (Unfortunately, the tester hasn't provided me with the log files from the uninstall and I haven't reproduced the problem myself yet.)

So how come WiX/Burn can detect that a reboot is required when reinstalling, but either didn't detect that or didn't trigger a restart, on the preceding uninstall? Is there something I should be doing in my MBA to handle/detect/trigger a restart?

Secondary problem: in trying to investigate the above (and restart behaviour in general), I trigger an ExecuteFilesInUse in which I set:
  e.Result = Result.Restart
However, that has no effect, WiX appears to ignore it. e.Restart is never ApplyRestart.RestartRequired in either ExecutePackageComplete or ApplyComplete