[wix-users] Customizing InstallDir UI and licensing question

David Cournapeau davidc at enthought.com
Mon Jun 6 06:27:06 PDT 2016

Hi,

We are happily using Wix to build an MSI installer for our product on
windows.

At installation time, we are using a standard Install Dir dialog to ask the
user where to install the software. We would like to add a checkbox so that
the user can select whether the application (a command line tool) should be
added on the user PATH environment variable, using something similar to
what's described there:
http://www.dizzymonkeydesign.com/blog/misc/adding-and-customizing-dlgs-in-wix-3/

If I understand correctly, the above link copies and modifies some WiX code
for the dialog box, which are under the Wix license. I am worried about the
legal consequences, and the potential to make our installer code a
derivative work. Is there a different way to achieve what we want ?

David

--
blog: http://cournape.wordpress.com
code: https://github.com/cournape