[wix-users] automated fileset using heat

Steve Ogilvie sogilvie at msn.com
Thu Feb 11 07:38:57 PST 2016

Hi folks,

We are using WiX 3.10.2 and TFS 2015 with VS 2015.

Currently I use heat to harvest a large fileset, then manually put in the components/file elements into the product.wxs.

Is anyone using heat to automate the harvesting of large filesets within the build process (we use MSBUILD)

I.e. use heat the harvest a folder structure (a web application) and have heat use variables for the sourceDir and the Component Group name.
Have that Component Group listed in the feature set and etc. So the build process just runs heat before building the installer.

Success/failure/ups/downs???

Someone has suggested I try this and before I do all the work to try it want feedback from the WiX community...

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Ogilvie

Ottawa, ON
Canada

Winston Churchill, "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."