[wix-users] Defining Directories{

Steven Packer stevenp at fps-gold.com
Thu Oct 22 10:28:58 PDT 2015

I am brand new to WiX.  I am trying to setup a path to where my payload
files are but can't seem to figure it out.

I have created a Visual Studio WiX msi Project.  This is what I am currently
trying to do with the Directories.

       <Fragment>

    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">

      <Directory Id="HomeDrive">

        <Directory Id="TFS" Name="TFS">

          <Directory Id="CIM" Name="CIM">

            <Directory Id="Trunk" Name="trunk">

              <Directory Id="CIMSourceDir" Name="bin">

                <Directory Id="CIMPlugins" Name="CIMPlugins" />

                <Directory Id="CIMHelpFiles" Name="CIMHelpFiles" />

              </Directory>

            </Directory>

          </Directory>

        </Directory>

      </Directory>

      <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">

        <Directory Id="FPSGOLD" Name="FPSGOLD">

          <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="CIM">

            <Directory Id="Plugins" Name="Plugins" />

            <Directory Id="Help" Name="Help" />

          </Directory>

        </Directory>

      </Directory>

    </Directory>

       </Fragment>

In the File element I am putting Source"CIMSourceDir\MyFile.dll" or
"CIMPlugins\plugin.dll" or "CIMHelpFiles\help.chm"

I get the error The system cannot find the file 'CIMSourceDir\Myfile.dll'

Same message for all of my files.

The files are currently located on my machine at C:\TFS\CIM\trunk\bin and in
Plugins and Help Directories below that.  They will not always be there.

The goal will be eventually to have this run in a build server to create the
msi for a product that has hundreds of dlls and help files.

I have created a simple msi already for a small internal program I wrote.
The WiX project is part of the Visual Studio solution and builds very nicely
with that small product.

Now I am going much bigger and far more complex.

Thanks,

Steven