[wix-users] Issue with .NET 4.5.2 installer in WiX 3.9R2?

Cookson, Mike Mike.Cookson at ncr.com
Tue Aug 25 09:26:29 PDT 2015

Greetings...

I am attempting to use 3.9R2 to install .Net 4.5.2 from within my bootstrapper. I do so via the following fragment in my Bundle element:

<Chain>
  <PackageGroupRef Id="NetFx452Web" />
</Chain>

When I compile this project, the following errors appear:

ERROR1
Description: The Windows Installer XML variable !(wix.WixMbaPrereqPackageId) is unknown.  Please ensure the variable is declared on the command line for light.exe, via a WixVariable element, or inline using the syntax !(wix.WixMbaPrereqPackageId=some value which doesn't contain parenthesis).
File: C:\src\wix39r2\src\ext\BalExtension\wixlib\Mba.wxs

ERROR2
Description: The Windows Installer XML variable !(wix.WixMbaPrereqLicenseUrl) is unknown.  Please ensure the variable is declared on the command line for light.exe, via a WixVariable element, or inline using the syntax !(wix.WixMbaPrereqLicenseUrl=some value which doesn't contain parenthesis).
File: C:\src\wix39r2\src\ext\BalExtension\wixlib\Mba.wxs

I have circumvented the errors by defining the missing WixVariable elements inside my Bundle element as follows:

<WixVariable Id="WixMbaPrereqPackageId" Value="NetFx452Web"/>
<WixVariable Id="WixMbaPrereqLicenseUrl" Value="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=260867"/>
<Chain>
  <PackageGroupRef Id="NetFx452Web" />
</Chain>

Two questions:
1)      Is this a real issue, or is it supposed to be this way and I just missed something in the docs?
2)      I took the LicenseUrl value from the current 3.x NetFx4.5.wxs file on github, and assume it isn't really the correct license. I did this because the current 3.x NetFx452.wxs file on github references 'http://wixtoolset.org/licenses/netfx452', which is currently a dead link. So, I fell back to the 4.5 link. If I do in fact need to keep my workaround, can anyone provide advice on what the correct license URL is for 4.5.2?

Thanks in advance...

Mike Cookson