[wix-devs] Situation Reporrt

Sean Hall r.sean.hall at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 07:38:42 PDT 2022

I also get an unhandled exception when opening test explorer, but it
appears to be related to the WixTestTools project that doesn't have any
tests. This is from the Tests output pane:

========== Starting test discovery ==========
Test project WixTestTools does not reference any .NET NuGet adapter. Test
discovery or execution might not work for this project.
It's recommended to reference NuGet test adapters in each test project in
the solution.
Loaded 0 test records from the solution cache in 0.220 sec.
Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestPlatform.ObjectModel.TestPlatformException:
Testhost process exited with error: Unhandled exception.
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly
'Microsoft.TestPlatform.CoreUtilities, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.TestPlatform.CoreUtilities, Version=15.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestPlatform.TestHost.Program.Main(String[]
args)
. Please check the diagnostic logs for more information.
   at
Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestPlatform.CrossPlatEngine.Client.ProxyOperationManager.ThrowOnTestHostExited(Boolean
testHostExited)
   at
Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestPlatform.CrossPlatEngine.Client.ProxyOperationManager.SetupChannel(IEnumerable`1
sources, String runSettings)
   at
Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestPlatform.CrossPlatEngine.Client.ProxyDiscoveryManager.DiscoverTests(DiscoveryCriteria
discoveryCriteria, ITestDiscoveryEventsHandler2 eventHandler)

> Running or debugging CaninstallAndUninstallUsers fails with the message
"User 'testName1' was not removed on Uninstall".

All of those tests pass on my machine and the CI machine (except for the
skipped one). Are you using the develop branch or are you testing your
feature branch?

> Trying to manually uninstall the msi complains that you can't uninstall
an msi that isn't currently installed.
> I don't know what happens if the test is run and there is no indication
that the msi has been installed.

If the test got to the point where it failed with "User 'testName1' was not
removed on Uninstall", then the test successfully installed and then
uninstalled the MSI.

> User TestName2 is also left behind.

The MSI is not supposed to remove that user. The test is supposed to clean
it up, but those tests do not seem to have been written so that happens
even if the test fails. Sounds like something someone should fix. The
pattern I established on the Burn side was to turn the static verifier
classes from v3 into an IDisposable class to make sure they get cleaned up.
I guess I didn't take the time to do that for the UserVerifier class.

> Can you suggest an appropriate direction for further exploration?

The tests should be making Windows Installer write a verbose log to %TEMP%.