[wix-devs] Situation Reporrt

Ron Martin cpuwzd at comcast.net
Thu Jun 9 10:40:33 PDT 2022

I was trying to paste this report from WordPad to the pop-out chat
window. Chat kept buffering multiple paragraphs and I couldn't find a
way to flush single paragraphs. I'm not sure how each copied paragraph
was terminated.

At any rate, I've pasted the report below and I will edit it before sending.

--------------------------------------

I'm playing with MsiE2ETests.sln. I run VS elevated, open this solution,
then open the test explorer. At his point, I get an unhandled exception
in testhost.exe. I cancel the JIT debugger prompt.

Running or debugging CaninstallAndUninstallUsers fails with the message
"User 'testName1' was not removed on Uninstall".

Trying to manually uninstall the msi complains that you can't uninstall
an msi that isn't currently installed. User TestName2 is also left
behind. I can use net users to remove the users, but the situation
remains the same.

Running a tool to list installed msi's shows the product name (beginning
with a tilde).

I don't know what happens if the test is run and there is no indication
that the msi has been installed.

I made one attempt to install the msi in a virtual machine, but I ran
into pilot error, so I need to try this again.

So far, debugging the code seems to indicate that the installation fails
without notification through the UI and the uninstallation does not
attempt to remove the users because the install state of the product
does not indicate that removal is appropriate.

Can you suggest an appropriate direction for further exploration?

Thanks,
Ron