[wix-devs] Broken Build

Bob Arnson bob at firegiant.com
Sat Jul 3 17:18:22 PDT 2021

It's a VS bug. https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/LINK-:-fatal-error-LNK1318:-Unexpected-P/1418710?space=8&scope=follow

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-devs <wix-devs-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Ron Martin via wix-devs
Sent: Saturday, 3 July, 2021 15:56
To: Bob Arnson via wix-devs <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>; wix-devs <wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Ron Martin <cpuwzd at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [wix-devs] Broken Build

Bob,

That didn't last long. My attempt to build develop terminated with the following pile of error messages: (I hope I snipped far enough back to be useful.)

Before building, I did both a git clean -fdx and a nuget locals all -clear.

Any thoughts?

Ron

LINK : fatal error LNK1318: Unexpected PDB error; RPC (23) '(0x000006BA)' [D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\src\api\burn\mbanative\mba
native.vcxproj]
Done Building Project
"D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\src\api\burn\mbanative\mbanative.vcxproj" (default
targets) -- FAILED.

Project "D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\src\api\burn\api_burn.sln" (1) is building "D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\src\api\burn\test\WixToolsetTe
st.Mba.Core\WixToolsetTest.Mba.Core.csproj" (6) on node 1 (default targets).
GenerateTargetFrameworkMonikerAttribute:
Skipping target "GenerateTargetFrameworkMonikerAttribute" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the i nput files.
_GitClearCache:
Skipping target "_GitClearCache" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
_GitValidateBaseVersion:
Skipping target "_GitValidateBaseVersion" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
_GitWriteCache:
Skipping target "_GitWriteCache" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
CoreGenerateAssemblyInfo:
Skipping target "CoreGenerateAssemblyInfo" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
CoreCompile:
Skipping target "CoreCompile" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
_CopyFilesMarkedCopyLocal:
   Copying file from
"C:\Users\cpuwz\.nuget\packages\microsoft.testplatform.objectmodel\16.8.3\lib\netstandard2.0\Micros
   oft.TestPlatform.PlatformAbstractions.dll" to "D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\build\api\Debug\netcoreapp3.1\win-x86\Microsoft.Test
   Platform.PlatformAbstractions.dll".
   Touching
"D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\build\api\obj\WixToolsetTest.Mba.Core\Debug\netcoreapp3.1\win-x86\WixToolsetTest.Mba.Core
   .csproj.CopyComplete".
_CopyOutOfDateSourceItemsToOutputDirectory:
Building target "_CopyOutOfDateSourceItemsToOutputDirectory" partially, because some output files are out of date with respect to their input files.
   Copying file from
"C:\Users\cpuwz\.nuget\packages\microsoft.testplatform.testhost\16.8.3\build\netcoreapp2.1\x86\Micr
   osoft.TestPlatform.PlatformAbstractions.dll" to "D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\build\api\Debug\netcoreapp3.1\win-x86\Microsoft.Te
   stPlatform.PlatformAbstractions.dll".
GenerateBuildDependencyFile:
Skipping target "GenerateBuildDependencyFile" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
GenerateBuildRuntimeConfigurationFiles:
Skipping target "GenerateBuildRuntimeConfigurationFiles" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the in put files.
CopyFilesToOutputDirectory:
   WixToolsetTest.Mba.Core ->
D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\build\api\Debug\netcoreapp3.1\win-x86\WixToolsetTest.Mba.Core.dll
Done Building Project
"D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\src\api\burn\test\WixToolsetTest.Mba.Core\WixToolsetTest.Mba.Core.csproj"
(def
ault targets).

Done Building Project "D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\src\api\burn\api_burn.sln"
(default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\src\api\burn\api_burn.sln" (default target) (1) -> "D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\src\api\burn\mbanative\mbanative.vcxproj" (default
target) (5:7) ->
(Link target) ->
   LINK : fatal error LNK1318: Unexpected PDB error; RPC (23) '(0x000006BA)' [D:\Repos\Wix\wix4\src\api\burn\mbanative\m
banative.vcxproj]

     0 Warning(s)
     1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:19.12

On 7/3/2021 2:26 PM, Bob Arnson via wix-devs wrote:

> `git clean -ndx` is your friend. 😊 I agree incrementality is busted. I never trusted the incremental wix3 build either which is why I did all the multiproc hacking, to make a full clean build fast. (Pick your battles.) That's also why I started doing traversal projects. Maybe that'll help with incrementality...?
>
> Or we just go back to microrepos.

>>> CreateBootstrapperApplicationManifestCommand,cs