[wix-devs] Building Wix 4

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Wed Jan 13 11:43:39 PST 2021

A couple things:

1. With the advances in embedded PDBs and SourceLink, you may not need to build the WiX Toolset to help find bugs. When WiX v4-preview.0 is available a lot of testing opportunities will be available.

2. WiX v4's current micro-repos mean you don't necessarily have to enlist in everything to help work on one part. If you have a particular area of the WiX Toolset you'd like to help improve, it will likely be more efficient to focus on the few pieces you need to be successful.

The WiX v4 build is absolutely not optimized to build and run the whole. WiX is a very large project and can be easier to digest in smaller pieces.