[wix-devs] Burn stub size and PlanDump

Sean Hall r.sean.hall at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 18:45:57 PST 2021

Now that I've got the Burn integration/system/end-to-end tests setup at
https://github.com/wixtoolset/integration, I'd like to be able to enable
PlanDump in these tests. My initial thought is to enable it whenever Burn
adds INSTALLLOGMODE_EXTRADEBUG to MSI logging.

The problem is that PlanDump is currently only included on Debug builds.
Based on https://wixtoolset.org/development/wips/4632-use-etw-for-logging/,
it sounds like this was due to trying to keep the size of the Burn stub
small. Here's how the size has changed over time:

3.14.0 - 455k
4.0.2  - 463k
4.0.19 - 470k
4.0.24 - 556k
4.0.60 - 558k
PlanDump-563k

It's currently at 558k, 103k bigger than v3.14. The biggest jump (86k) was
in 4.0.24, when dutil was modified so that consumers could log dutil
messages (https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/4588). I haven't
looked into where the other additional 17k came from.

Including PlanDump would add 5k. Is this reasonable?