[wix-devs] 6210 - Burn engine should handle non-QWORD versions

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Tue Jul 14 12:35:54 PDT 2020

Correct me if I'm wrong but using EvaluateCondition() would require all version comparisons to be created using string concatenation in the BA then call to evaluate condition? That's pretty ugly.

Dutil isn't easily discoverable but there is precedent as wcautil depends on it. Balutil could do similarly.

I guess I'm not against sending versions around as strings but I think we do need to make some methods available for doing standard version comparisons (anything else) on those strings.

Is the breaking changes concern related to shipping around a struct? If so, I get that (thus string fallback is better than an opaque handle because at least someone can display a string). But the actual version comparisons, we'll have to get right because changing those will be breaking change whether a string or struct or whatever.