[wix-devs] Redesign RemotePayload

Sean Hall r.sean.hall at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 17:36:30 PST 2020

I'm not trying to fully design the feature request for a source-less
MsiPackage here. But I'm basically suggesting that it could be implemented
by adding some attributes onto the new MsiPackagePayload element. Isn't
most of the harvesting to support bind-time variables? I would hope people
wanting this feature would realize they can't use those without the source
file.

I went back and forth on proposing to leave SourceFile (but not Name,
Compressed, DownloadFile, or EnableSignatureVerification) on the package
elements as syntactic sugar for the "common use case". But what is the
common use case? A cursory GitHub search showed most people using some of
the other payload attributes. Although, most of those were either
specifying the Name with the exact same thing as the SourceFile or
specifying Compressed="yes" on all packages instead of the Bundle element.