[wix-devs] v4 extension versioning

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Wed Jan 16 20:35:44 PST 2019

1. - Are you going to use v5 in the future product names?

There will be a WiX Toolset v5 with breaking changes. Yes.

2. - Does that mean v5 will be 2.0.0.0? Or are you going to reset again to 1.0.0.0?

Presumably it'd start again at v1.0.0.

3. - How do you tell v4 binaries from v5 binaries?

That's what this is all about. Getting a consistent naming scheme from here out since v3 naming may be too limited.

4. - How do you really programatically tell if you're using a v3 vs v4 binary?

V3 WixExensions will not load by v4 and vice versa. That's why we need to get the name right because they will not work correctly at all.