[wix-devs] v4 extension versioning

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:23:10 PST 2019

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 8:10 PM Sean Hall via wix-devs <
wix-devs at lists.wixtoolset.org> wrote:

> I would think we would only apply the v4 naming to the ones we would
> consider adding breaking changes to.

Hi,

New to the list and will probably just be popping in and out. The last
company I worked at used a funny revisioning scheme because they were
primarily a hardware company. They pressed software into the same mold and
it caused nothing but problems.
Perhaps try answering a couple of questions:
- Are you going to use v5 in the future product names?
- Does that mean v5 will be 2.0.0.0? Or are you going to reset again to
1.0.0.0?
- How do you tell v4 binaries from v5 binaries?
- How do you really programatically tell if you're using a v3 vs v4 binary?

Personally, I think seeing higher revision numbers is a good thing.
v4.0.0.0 is a pretty good mark if you ask me. But you didn't, so feel free
to ignore me. :)

Cheers and thanks for the great product.

Russ