[wix-devs] Burn micro repo(s)

Sean Hall r.sean.hall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 19:08:36 PST 2018

Breaking balutil out to its own repo totally makes sense.

I think I see where you're trying to go with BalExtension/core
(BootstrapperCore.dll) going into the Burn interfaces repo. Eventually we
want to split BootstrapperCore.dll into MBA.Interfaces.dll and
MBA.Implementation.dll, with MBA.Interfaces in the Burn interfaces repo and
MBA.Implementation in the BalExtension repo. I'm a big fan of doing things
iteratively if possible, so I would rather not try to do that when we
initially set up these 4 repos. Or if we really wanted to at least create
the new MBA interfaces assembly, only put IBootstrapperApplication and
IBootstrapperEngine in there to start with.

If we are putting balutil and BalExtension in seperate repos, and putting
managed interfaces into the Burn interface repo, then the native
IBootstrapperApplication and IBootstrapperEngine headers should also go
there. And possibly IBAFunctions. Though to be honest, I'm not seeing the
use case for anyone using IBoostrapperApplication/IBootstrapperEngine
without balutil, or the managed ones without the managed BAL implementation.