[wix-devs] Signing build output

Heath Stewart heaths at outlook.com
Thu Dec 13 11:45:38 PST 2018

Re: https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/5329

Enterprise environments using Windows Device Guard now require that even x86 and x64 binaries are signed. IF no one has already started working on the aforementioned issue, I will start but:

  1.  We’ll need this for 3.14, since moving to WiX 4 for legacy authoring would be a huge undertaking. Is that possible?
  2.  How, if at all, is signing handled now during build? Looks like everything is in https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/blob/bda1c281cb0349007d767d5404d6da87076d7d94/tools/WixBuild.wixproj.targets, but any particular reason some targets are commented out? Foresee any problems with adding similar support for signing at least native DLLs (or really any DLLs that would ship to end users)?
  3.  To test this, see any problems with adding test-signing capabilities to this (and related) files?

Any other thoughts or considerations regarding this matter?