[wix-users] wix targets files not found from a 3.11 originated .wixproj

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Tue Feb 20 21:37:02 PST 2024

From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of John Zajac via wix-users
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2024 11:23 AM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: John Zajac <jzajac2 at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] wix targets files not found from a 3.11 originated .wixproj

 I am trying to move my old wix 3.11 project from jenkins to azure devops.
I am running into some issues where .targets files are not being found. For one example:

Error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.11\bin\Wix.targets" was not found.

and, same for wix2010.targets

I was originally keeping the wix3.11 binaries in source control. I want to now instead have them available on the build agent and not source control.
Or, even better, a more temporary download of a package of all of the wix dependencies (e.g. nuget). However, I'm assuming just having the wix MSI installed is the recommended approach.

I am having a hard time finding out where I was originally getting these .targets files from. And also where I even got wix2010.targets from in the first place, as I'm not seeing that in the install.

Here are my questions:
1. Where is wix2010.targets coming from? How do I get it on my new build agent system?
2. Where is wix.targets and why do I not see it on a fresh install of 3.14?
3. What is using the wixtasks.dll ?

I am using DTF and HeatDirectory task.

Here is some of my .wixproj . Note, it has been reorganized:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project ToolsVersion="4.0" DefaultTargets="Build" xmlns="
http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <PropertyGroup>
    <WixToolPath>C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.14\bin\</WixToolPath>
    <WixTargetsPath>$(WixToolPath)Wix.targets</WixTargetsPath>
    <WixTasksPath>$(WixToolPath)wixtasks.dll</WixTasksPath>
    <!-- Keeping these two below handy, but they should never be hit conditionally -->
    <WixTargetsPath Condition=" '$(WixTargetsPath)' == '' AND '$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)' != ''
">$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\Wix.targets</WixTargetsPath>
    <WixTargetsPath Condition=" '$(WixTargetsPath)' == ''
">$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\Wix.targets</WixTargetsPath>