[wix-users] Progress messages from a Burn bundle?

Matthias Reuss matthias.mr.reuss at wsa.com
Thu Mar 2 10:50:27 PST 2023

Hello,

My installation bundle contains a 3rd-party EXE, which is itself a Burn bundle.

Can I get progress messages from that "embedded" bundle?

The ExePackage definition looks like

      <ExePackage Id="ThirdPartyBundle"
                  Compressed="no"
                  PerMachine="yes"
                  Vital="yes"
                  Name="Path\ThirdParty.exe"
                  DisplayName="Third Party Bundle"
[...]
                  Protocol="burn">
        <ExitCode Value="0" Behavior="success" />
        <ExitCode Value="1" Behavior="error"/>
      </ExePackage>

And the ExecuteProgress event handler of my CustomBA:

        private void ExecuteProgress(object sender, ExecuteProgressEventArgs e)
        {
           [...]
            _executeProgress = e.ProgressPercentage;
            _model.LogMessage($"ExecuteProgress for package {e.PackageId}: Percentage {_executeProgress}");
[...]
        }

My log file tells me that ExecuteProgress was called for this package only 2 times: once at 0 % and once at 100 %.

This 3rd-party bundle is the longest-running part of my bundle, so my progress bar would look much better if I could get more progress messages.

Best regards

Matthias Reuss