[wix-users] Control of the feature set for a MsiPackage

Helge Kruse Helge.Kruse at gmx.net
Tue Jul 18 05:04:42 PDT 2023

Hello,

I have to install two MSI packages. One MSI is for x86 and the other for
x64. I authored a bundle with a custom UI that contains a checkbox cb1.
With the following chain, cb1 controls the feature set of the x86 MSI to
be installed. If cb1 is not checked, the ProductFeature shall be
installed. If cb1 is checked, all features shall be installed.

     <Chain>
       <MsiPackage SourceFile="X86.msi" InstallCondition="cb1 = 0" >
         <MsiProperty Name="ADDLOCAL" Value="ProductFeature"/>
       </MsiPackage>
       <MsiPackage Id="SetupAll" SourceFile="X86.msi"
	 InstallCondition="cb1 = 1" />
       <MsiPackage SourceFile="X64.msi" InstallCondition="VersionNT64" />
     </Chain>

This worked with WiX 3.x, but the migration to WiX 4 fails with the error:
   The 'ADDLOCAL' MsiProperty is controlled by the
   bootstrapper and cannot be authored.

How can I control the feature set for a MsiPackage in WiX 4?

Best regards,
Helge