[wix-users] Error signing managed custom action DLL created by MakeSfxCA

Edwin Young the.edwin.young at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 08:27:13 PDT 2022

Hi,

We have a .NET custom action DLL, which is generally working fine. However
we need to code-sign the DLL because otherwise customers with strict code
integrity policies complain that our package includes an unsigned DLL.

When I try to sign the DLL with signtool it produces an error:

PS C:\share> & "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\bin\10.0.22621.0\x86\signtool.exe" sign /f C:\share\mypfx.pfx /p
1234 /fd SHA256 .\HybridAgentWixUtil.CA.dll
Done Adding Additional Store
SignTool Error: SignedCode::Sign returned error: 0x800700C1
        For more information, please see https://aka.ms/badexeformat
SignTool Error: An error occurred while attempting to sign:
.\HybridAgentWixUtil.CA.dll

Number of errors: 1

I'm not sure what signtool is objecting to. The file is not signed, and
appears to work correctly. x64 version of signtool behaves the same. If
anyone has encountered this issue or has thoughts on how to resolve it, I'd
be grateful to hear them.

Thanks,
Edwin Young

PS I attempted to search the mailing list archive but got this error. Not
sure if that's unexpected.

htsearch detected an error. Please report this to the webmaster of this
site by sending an e-mail to: mailman at listserver-jolly.dreamhost.com The
error message is:

Unable to read word database file
'/dh/mailman/jolly/archives/private/wix-users-wixtoolset.org/htdig/db.words.db'

Did you run htdig?