[wix-users] WIX - MSIX?

John Ludlow john.ludlow.uk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 05:05:27 PDT 2022

1. I personally don't consider it to be mature, mostly because of the state
Windows Store is in. It's always a pain to update Windows Terminal on my
work laptop because it uses MSIX and our IT department have made that
difficult by breaking Windows Store (they were trying to make a curated
store for our company, failed and left it broken).

And proprietary, commercial apps would be difficult to release unless the
Windows Store saw some substantial changes.

2. It is very much that. TBF I'd welcome a simpler package format that
still had some capacity for custom logic but I'm not sure MSIX is that in
its current form.

3. https://www.firegiant.com/products/wix-expansion-pack/msix/

Visual Studio and Office still use WiX IIRC, with bundled MSI packages
behind a custom bootstrapper application.

On Sat, 27 Aug 2022, 03:48 Greg McPherran via wix-users, <