[wix-users] MSP->wxs (Dark) and go back

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Tue Nov 1 11:27:03 PDT 2022

Correct. Decompilation (dark.exe) exists to help convert existing installation packages created by other (non-WiX) tooling into WiX source code.

You can’t take .msps back to source code (they’re diffs between multiple MSIs) so there is no decompliation scenario.

You’re hacking. It can be probably done. But generally I’d recommend, “Just build a new version.” YMMV.