[wix-users] Max number of instance transforms

Martin Broholm Andersen 090578 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 01:22:23 PDT 2022

Hi,

I'm working on an installer for our software, which basically consists of
the same executable installed as different services with different
configurations. We need the flexibility to install and upgrade different
services to different machines independently and Instance Transforms was the
elegant solution to this challenge.

However there seems to be a limit to a maximum of 60 instance transforms in
1 msi file?

When I add number 61 I get this generic error from light.exe:

Windows Installer XML Toolset Linker version 3.11.1.2318

Copyright (c) .NET Foundation and contributors. All rights reserved.

light.exe : error LGHT0001 : Function failed during execution

Exception Type: Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Msi.MsiException

Stack Trace:

   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Msi.Database.Commit()

   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Binder.GenerateDatabase(Output
output, String databaseFile, Boolean keepAddedColumns, Boolean
useSubdirectory)

   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Binder.BindDatabase(Output output,
String databaseFile)

   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Binder.Bind(Output output, String
file)

   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Tools.Light.Run(String[] args)

I suspected it was the size of some of my autogenerated files for the
components, but it gives the same error in a project that only writes 1
entry to the registry.

It looks like a limitation in MSI, but I couldn't find any information about
this. The closest thing was that one should not apply more than 256
transformations when installing

/Martin