[wix-users] v4: Using the WixUI extension

Frederik Carlier frederik.carlier at keysight.com
Sat Jul 2 03:34:31 PDT 2022

Thanks Sean, that was helpful.

I finally got it to work using the ui:WixUI syntax and passing the path to the WixUI extension dll as an wix -ext argument.
I'm using Wix in a CI pipeline on a shared runner, so the acquisition of the tools has to be automated.
That adds the complexity of authenticating to the GitHub NuGet package registry.

In the end, I ended up using something like this:

```powershell
$headers = @{
    Authorization = "Basic " + [System.Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::ASCII.GetBytes("$($user):$($token)"))
}

# To fetch the metadata for a package, including the download URL,
# navigate to e.g. https://nuget.pkg.github.com/wixtoolset/WixToolset.Sdk/4.0.0-preview.1-build.415.json
$wixVersion = "4.0.0-preview.1-build.415"
Invoke-WebRequest `
    -Uri https://nuget.pkg.github.com/wixtoolset/download/WixToolset.Sdk/$wixVersion/WixToolset.Sdk.$wixVersion.nupkg `
    -Headers $headers `
    -OutFile WixToolset.Sdk.$wixVersion.zip

Invoke-WebRequest `
    -Uri https://nuget.pkg.github.com/wixtoolset/download/WixToolset.UI.wixext/$wixVersion/WixToolset.UI.wixext.$wixVersion.nupkg `
    -Headers $headers `
    -OutFile WixToolset.UI.wixext.$wixVersion.zip

Expand-Archive -Path .\WixToolset.Sdk.$wixVersion.zip -DestinationPath wix
Expand-Archive -Path .\WixToolset.UI.wixext.$wixVersion.zip -DestinationPath wixui

dotnet .\wix\tools\netcoreapp3.1\wix.dll build [...] -ext .\wixui\tools\WixToolset.UI.wixext.dll
```

Hope it's useful to others.

Frederik.