[wix-users] Experience of build with WiX 4 Toolset

Timofey Evsyutkin goldghost.oomphi.suppository at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 04:03:11 PDT 2022

Hi there

I have recently converted and built a small "Test Project" from v3 to v4.
I took 4.0.0-preview.1-build.425 for this and got some errors.

Converter did not cover some situations.

Related to WIX0022 after converting:
1. There is an empty condition. For example,
     <Text><![CDATA[]]></Text>
2. There is an inner comment. For example,
     <Custom Action ... something here ... >
         <!-- comment of action -->
         <![CDATA[ ... something here ... ]]]
     </Custom>
     <Condition Message="!(loc.UpdateKB2533623NotFound)">
         <!-- comment of condition -->
         <![CDATA[NOT ((UpdateKB2533623Exist = "No") AND (VersionNT =
601))]]>
     </Condition>
3. There is a condition in include file (wxi). For example,
     <Include xmlns="http://wixtoolset.org/schemas/v4/wxs">
         <Condition Message="!(loc.InvalidOsVersion)">
             <![CDATA[NOT (VersionNT < 601)]]>
         </Condition>
     </Include>

Related to WIX1150. For example,
     ~\test_product\fragments.wxi(7) : error WIX1150:
     The binder doesn't know how to place the following symbol into the
output:
     SymbolName: 'WixFragment', Id: 'MsiPackages'
Are identifiers of fragments deprecated?

I submitted it because the converter did not mark them as an error.
However it is taking place when you are building with wix.

When I was building a Bundle, I got these errors:
~\test_product\components\test_product.wxi(21) : error WIX8500:
The Payload 'cabqsnbgoiL2yJhlIDGB7CrS2Lfb7k' has a duplicate Name
'setup.cab' in the attached container.
When extracting the bundle with dark.exe, the file will get overwritten.
~\test_product\components\test_product.wxi(12) : error WIX8501:
The location of the payload related to the previous error.

I suppressed them, is it ok?

Also I've got these errors:
~\src\Bundle.wxs(55) : error WIX0102:
The localization variable !(loc.DisplayName) is unknown.  Please ensure the
variable is defined.
~\src\Bundle.wxs(11) : error WIX0102:
The localization variable !(loc.DisplayName) is unknown.  Please ensure the
variable is defined.
~\src\Bundle.wxs(11) : error WIX0102:
The localization variable !(loc.DisplayName) is unknown.  Please ensure the
variable is defined.

I "fixed" my code. After that I got MSIs and EXE-installer. MSI works fine
as expected.
However, I noticed strange behavior with EXE.
After a successful installation, when I run the installer again,
the bootstrapperCommand is determined to downgrade.
It was expected that there would be an opportunity to choose an action:
modify/repair/remove.
But when I skipped the downgrade action in debugging and chose the remove
action,
the uninstall didn't happen.
note: I use WixManagedBootstrapperApplicationHost and
WixDotNetCoreBootstrapperApplicationHost.
What am I doing wrong? Can I influence the engine through events or should
I not do this?
I do not expect a detailed answer, at least the direction where to move.
Thanks.

--
Best Regards, Timofey Evsyutkin
P.H.D., Software Engineer

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this email and
attached document(s) may contain confidential information that is intended
only for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of
any action in reliance upon the information is prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and
delete it from your system.