[wix-users] MS-RL License for existing dialogs

Michael Behrisch oss at behrisch.de
Tue Jan 4 12:47:06 PST 2022

Hi,
first of all, thanks for providing Wix and have a Happy New Year!

I have a question concerning licensing for the dialogs provided with Wix
such as for example
https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/blob/develop/src/ext/UIExtension/wixlib/InstallDirDlg.wxs.
The documentation states (for instance here:
https://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/wixui/wixui_customizations.html)
that if you build a new dialog you should copy the existing one and add
your modifications. If I understand the MS-RL correctly however this
would require me to put my new dialog under the MS-RL as well. Is this
correct?

And if so is there any way you could relicense the examples under a more
liberal license? I want to avoid to have code of potential incompatible
licenses in my repo which is currently mainly Eclipse Public License v2.

If there is an easier solution to that or my problem is not a problem at
all I would be also happy to hear that (possibly with a small
explanation why :-).

Best regards,
Michael