[wix-users] MsiInstaller Events in Application Log as Result of Msi Build

Bob Arnson bob at firegiant.com
Fri Apr 1 13:06:45 PDT 2022

It's validation.

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Edwin Castro via wix-users
Sent: Friday, 1 April, 2022 15:45
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Edwin Castro <egcastr at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] MsiInstaller Events in Application Log as Result of Msi Build

Just noticed we see MsiInstaller events with Event ID 1033 in the Application event log.

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: PRODUCT_NAME.
Product Version: 1.2.3.4. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer:
MANUFACTURER. Installation success or error status: 0.

We also see Event ID 11707 in the Application event log.

Product: PRODUCT_NAME -- Installation completed successfully.

Timings for these events correlate with when we do builds.

The events are unfortunately misleading because we're not actually doing an installation so it is confusing some of our developers when they think dev versions of the product are getting installed on dev computers when we expect release versions to be installed as part of our dogfood program.

I assume this happens when light.exe produces the MSI package probably by calling some MSI API.

How/why does this happen?

--
Edwin G. Castro