[wix-users] Deferred custom action - communication

Alex Earl slide.o.mix at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:59:02 PDT 2022

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the list, looking forward to learning more! I am currently
working on the MSI installer for the Jenkins open source project. When
Jenkins starts for the first time, it creates a file that contains a
temporary administrator password on disk. What I would like to do in a
custom action is wait for that file to be created and then display it in
the installer on the ExitDlg. My custom action needs to be elevated because
the file may be in another user's LocalData area. I have the
username/password for that user because I do a check for service login
capability using msiext. I have the custom action written, but I am not
sure how to send data BACK to the wxs so that I can display the temp
password in the UI. I know with a deferred custom action, you have to use
CustomActionData in a .NET custom action, but all the information I have
seen seems to say that it is only one way. Is there a way to do what I am
trying to do?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

--