[wix-users] Missing file not installed on Repair

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Wed Mar 17 09:02:41 PDT 2021

Logs?

What does https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/reinstallmode look like?

From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Todd Hoatson via wix-users
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 10:50 AM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Todd Hoatson <todd.hoatson at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] Missing file not installed on Repair

Hi all, I really appreciate all the help recently with the non-versioned
file issues. Now I have a new, related problem:

I delete an installed file from my system, then I run Repair from the
Windows Apps and Features tool, but the missing file is not replaced.

The file is harvested by heat, and the generated code for it looks like
this:

<Directory Id="_Resources" Name="_Resources">
<Component Id="BYZ.p8z"
Guid="{30456CB8-DDF6-46B1-827B-2F7F67630929}" Permanent="yes">
<File Id="BYZ.p8z" KeyPath="yes"
Source="$(var.PTPROJECTSDIR)\_Resources\BYZ.p8z" />
</Component>
</Directory>

>From the discussion in the other related thread, I know we need to do
something different for non-versioned files like this. But in
the meantime, I don't understand why the file would not be installed during
Repair when it is completely missing.

And to make things a bit more complicated...

This problem doesn't happen after I run our base installer, delete the file
and then do Repair. It only happens when the base installer has been
*patched*, then I delete the file and do Repair.

Why would there be a difference between running a repair after a patch,
vs. running a repair after a base install?

And shouldn't a missing file always be replaced during Repair, either way?
What could cause Repair to leave it uninstalled?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Todd Hoatson
Mobile: 763-291-3312
Email: todd.hoatson at gmail.com<mailto:todd.hoatson at gmail.com>