[wix-users] dark does not produce output

Matthias Reuss matthias.mr.reuss at wsa.com
Fri Mar 12 00:07:44 PST 2021

Hi there,

I am trying to convert a legacy MSI into WiX, using dark as first step.

With the option -x, it produces a nice dump of the binaries. But I cannot find any .wxs output file - neither at the path I gave with the -o option nor at the current working folder of my CMD window. Console output shows some warnings (no errors though), but there is no hint as to "creating WiX output file MyFile.wxs" or so.

Command line was:

<path>\dark -o "D:\MyOutputPath\MyNewWix.wxs" -v -x D:\MyOutputPath\BinaryDump "W:\LegacyPackage\Legacy.msi"

I had created the empty folders d:\MyOutputPath and d:\MyOutputPath\BinaryDump before.

Any ideas what went wrong here?

Best regards,

Matthias Reuss