[wix-users] passing in multiple directories to Directory itemgroup to the HeatDirectory task

John Zajac jzajac2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 17:05:54 PST 2021

following a snippet from this closed issue:
https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/6020

  <ItemGroup>
<DirectoryItem Include="somepath\bin\Release">
<DirectoryRefId>First</DirectoryRefId>
</DirectoryItem>
<DirectoryItem Include="somepath\bin\Release">
<DirectoryRefId>Second</DirectoryRefId>
</DirectoryItem>
<DirectoryItem Include="sompath\bin\Release">
<DirectoryRefId>Third</DirectoryRefId>
</DirectoryItem>
</ItemGroup>

Unable to figure out how to pass that into Directory param below in
whatever format heat requires. If i were to hardcode multiple directories
as  test - what would that look like so I don't get the:

heat.exe(0,0): error HEAT0001: The given path's format is not supported.
> error.

  <HeatDirectory *Directory="@(DirectoryItem)"* Transforms="Filter.xslt"
PreprocessorVariable="var.HarvestPath"
  OutputFile="myapp.g.wxs" ComponentGroupName="myapp.g.Outputs"
  DirectoryRefId="INSTALLFOLDER" AutogenerateGuids="true"
ToolPath="$(WixToolPath)"
  SuppressFragments="true" SuppressRegistry="true"
SuppressRootDirectory="true" />

If this is just me forgetting how item passing works in msbuild then I'll
try to dust off the ole msbuild chops, but it's been years.