[wix-users] Using user's home directory as working directory (a.k.a startup directory) for shortcuts

Clifford Yapp cliffyapp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 07:20:49 PST 2021

Hi!  I'm trying to create a WiX installer for a project using CMake, and
I'm hitting a rather thorny problem.

For a number of reasons, we would prefer our user facing GUI applications
being launched from shortcuts to start with a working directory equivalent
to the user's home directory.  The NSIS installer allows this, but thus far
I have not figured out how to do it with WiX.

The closest I have found so far is the work on Powershell's installer (
https://discourse.cmake.org/t/cpack-wix-setting-working-directory-for-desktop-and-menu-shortcuts/1846)
but it looks like that was subsequently reverted as not working.

Is there a standard way in WiX to set the working directory of shortcuts to
the user's home directory?  CMake in principle offers a mechanism to patch
or augment WiX logic, but so far I've not even been able to identify a
working solution to try to integrate.

Thanks for any assistance,
CY